Monday, February 3, 2014

What am I supposed to do with THIS?

So I've mentioned before how Miss B has a large chunk of mane missing, thanks to a hay feeder that is too small for Fat Morgan Necks...

This is what it looks like now:

Shleepy poneh haz bad hurr-do
Oh my god please no.

Excuse me while I mourn my loss
This horse has always had a long, flowing, Morgan-type-y mane that I love to bits and makes her unique and gorgeous. Chopping it off to try to hide this monstrosity was the hardest thing I've had to do in a long time. I want to let it grow out back to its previous glory, but the fact that she is missing half her mane kind of hinders that...

RIP gorgeous, sleek mane

So since we can't leave it like this, I have to find a solution. I've narrowed my options down to about four:

1.) Roach the mane. Not my first choice, since I HATE roached manes and with Fat Morgan Neck, I'm sure that would look awful on her. Plus if I want to grow it out, there is the awkward mohawk time. No me gusta.
2.) Get her a Sleazy. This would be an easy and affordable option, but the question is, would she just tear it apart? She lives outside and if the hay feeder is rubbing her mane off, would it just shred the Sleazy?
3.) Neck cover for her blanket. Less affordable, since they cost more than a Sleazy as it is, plus I'd have to get D-rings sewn on to her blanket(s). And change the neck piece between light and medium sheets every time she got a wardrobe change... And what about the times that she is not wearing a sheet?
4.) Ask Barn Manager to remove hay feeder. They've mentioned it before, when looking at Beauty's mane and other horses have had the same problem, but not as bad. But I feel weird asking them to do that, since I'm not a long-time boarder and it is just a cosmetic thing...

So I'd really like some opinions from those of you in Bloggerland, and any new ideas you might have!

PLEASE, FOR THE LOVE OF MANE, HELP ME!

7 comments:

  1. Ah, I'd cry if that ever happened to my Haflinger's mane! You can ask the barn manager to remove the hay feeder, all she can say is no and you would just be in the same situation. So I think you should try that option first. Then maybe the Sleazy? I'd hate to see you roach it! And the neck cover option will only be available for as long as she is blanketed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is true about asking the barn manager, what do I have to lose?? Thanks for the input! :)

      Delete
  2. My friend recently roached her obese KWPN's mane it actually looks ridiculously adorable with his fat neck. That said, I could never do it to one of my own horses. Good luck! I'll mourn with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might look okay-ish on her, now that I think about it, but it might break my soul to roach it!

      Delete
  3. Pull it really short and then buy a sleazy to help it grow out :)

    ReplyDelete