Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Recap and Vacation surprise!



I'm off on a family vacation on an island, so I will be away from my wonderful mare for a whole week (the horror). We've been having some frustrations lately, so it will be good to step back and start fresh, not to mention letting her back heal a little (decided to go with the Duett saddle after all, since it really does fit her well). However, we did end on some very good notes, first with our first even tackless (bareback and bridleless, with only a neck rope)! We just walked and practiced novel things like "Stop please" and "Let's not drag me across the ring to the door". We trotted for maybe one lap around the 20m circle, and she was fine. It was more of a "Can we do this and not get killed or be traumatized?" experiment and trust exercise, so I call it a success! It wasn't pretty, but it was calm and a fun adventure.


And then I put tack on and we had a great dressage school.

"I am good pony, yes?"
Yes, but we still have to do dressage
Then, on Friday, we had our first even JUMPING LESSON! My instructor had never seen her jump and was amazed at how much Beauty loved it and how calm she was! We just schooled over a little crossrail, but we did it several times each way and even cantered to it a few times! Not bad for pony's third time jumping with a rider on her back. Never even hesitated!


Gorgeous facility!
Now, I am off on this island and didn't bring riding pants or chaps or gloves, because what are the chances of a barn being out there? However, I did bring my helmet and boots just in case. Well, there just so happened to be a barn just down the street from the house we are staying in! My mom and I stopped by just to check it out and pat some horse noses. The barn manager was there and showed us around the GORGEOUS facilities (arena overlooking the ocean, anyone?) and mentioned that they do dressage lessons and the head instructor is an FEI level rider and most of their horses are trained up to second level, some at 3rd and 4th! The prices are pretty steep, but my mom agreed to get me a half hour lesson while we are here! I am so excited to ride at a beautiful facility, with well trained horses, with an experienced instructor! 


No comments:

Post a Comment