Saturday, August 31, 2013

Tales of a Cheapskate

Anyone who knows me, knows I hate to spend money. Ever. I rarely buy something that is not on sale, or price shop for hours/days/weeks to find the cheapest option. In the equestrian world, my shopping style is no different (though I make exceptions for things like board, farrier, vet, the essentials). Going back to school, I am reminded by the snobby equestrian team that not everyone works 40 hours/week to barely afford the cheapest options. I see all these girls (some of which I am acquaintances/friends with) decked out in Tailored Sportsmans, Charles Owens and Ariat. I just sort of cringe, knowing how much money they spend when they could have perfectly fine items for half the price, or less! So, from a cheapskate's perspective, here are my reviews of alternative, cheaper items!

Boots:
They buy: Ariat Monaco Zip Paddock Boots
Price: $280 See here
Gorgeous boots, no doubt. And if you want to spend $280 to stomp around in horse shit 6 days a week, be my guest.
I buy: Saxon Equileather Zip Paddock Boots
Price: $40 See here
I LOVE these boots - not only are they cheap, but you get a lot for your money. These boots look and feel like real leather, clean easily (just a wet cloth) and hold up to shit-kickin' and paddock muckin'. They do start to break down after a while, but I usually get a year or two until they go. Honestly, $40 a year? I can do that! Sure, I know people who keep their nice, expensive boots for like, 10 years or something, but that takes work and being careful with them and blah blah blah. I just want something that can take my abuse and I don't have to feel like I'm walking through mud and poop with a couple Benjamins strapped to my soles.

Breeches:
They buy: Tailored Sportman
Price: $150-275
Again, I'm sure they are great breeches, but why spend that much money on something that is going to get daily/frequent abuse?
I buy: Irideon Essential Tights See here
Price: $70
Or Tuff Rider breeches
Price: $40-60
I ride at a barn where appearance is not top priority. I used to ride in jeans. I ride with my hair in a ponytail, not tucked up. As long as it is safe and effective, nobody cares. So why spend so much money on breeches when a cheaper alternative will do just fine? If the difference between looking nice and really nice is $80+ dollars, sorry, that's not worth it for me. Even for shows. I am not showing top circuit, the fine line between dressed well and dressed top of the line isn't going to make a difference in my scores. And Irideon breeches are really nice quality, too, so I am getting plenty for a low price. I love my Irideons, they are so comfortable and look so sporty.

Helmet:
They buy: Charles Owen, GPA
Price: $300+
I buy: Tipperary Sportage See here
Price: $75
First, GPA and IRH don't fit my head. I haven't tried Charles Owen, because honestly, I can't spend that much for a helmet. Tipperary fits my head and my budget and look sporty! For shows, I have a nicer helmet, but I got that used for $80, so not exactly breaking the bank.

It's not that I'm poor or anything, just frugal. I don't see the point in spending loads of money when you can get something perfectly fine for much less. I'd rather that my money went to important things, like if my horse needs vet care, or a new supplement, or if there is some big item (like the saddle I just unloaded a grand for). So I might not look like a million dollars, but that's because I'm not WEARING a million dollars. My horse doesn't care, my friends don't care, I don't care.

Just my opinion and rant of the day (I get opinionated when I'm stuck in a dorm with nothing to do!) But Miss Beauty is coming down on Tuesday, YAY, so that will keep me happily occupied soon.

2 comments:

  1. This post is my life. I live off of Tuff Rider apparel. Mostly it's because I'm poor though, not frugal. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tuff Rider is the best! And I guess you could say I'm horse-poor, living frugally so I'm not dirt poor ;)

      Delete