Friday, July 26, 2013

After two months of waiting, the saddle verdict isssss....

Horrible. For me, anyway.

The nice new Duett Rondo that took forever to get to me, specially ordered for size (17" seat 32cm tree), arrived yesterday. The saddle fitter deemed it a perfect fit for my mare, but I could not make it to the barn to see it and try it myself.

So today I ventured out, bursting with excitement. My excitement bubble would soon be popped. Or rather obliterated. I could tell as soon as I took the saddle cover off - the twist was going to be WAY too wide for me, the seat WAY too flat.

But I got on, trying to remain optimistic. I walked - eh, not great but maybe okay. I trotted - I think I can -- OH GOD what are my legs doing? How is it possible to do a chair seat AND be thrown forward? WHAT. THE. HELL. I couldn't even balance in it! I've NEVER been rendered this ineffective or unbalanced in a saddle, EVER. I felt like a complete beginner, and I've always prided myself in a very secure seat!

Beauty, on the other hand, loved it. She immediately got into a cute frame, used her back and cruised around happily, despite the flopping fool on her back. I asked for a canter, trying to maintain some semblance of balance staying on, and she gave me the most relaxed, round, gorgeous canter I've gotten in a looooong time.

Well, glad you love it mare... If only I could ride in it!

All my friends have been reassuring me that I just need to adjust and it will be fine, and I feel like I should stick with it, since I owe my horse a saddle that fits, but I really feel that sometimes a saddle doesn't work with your body, and let's be honest, if I can't balance, how can I be an effective rider for my horse?

So the saddle verdict stands as such:
Duett:
Horse: yes
Katie: No
Wallet: Yes

Albion:
Horse: Yes
Katie: YES
Wallet: NOPE

All other saddles in the entire universe:
Horse: NOPE!!!!!
Katie: Probably
Wallet: Potentially

CAN'T THE UNIVERSE JUST GIVE ME A SADDLE THAT FITS ALL CRITERIA AND END MY SUFFERING?!?!?

1 comment:

  1. New reader! Keep looking, the perfect saddle will come along! :)

    Ashley
    www.theprocessoflearning.com

    ReplyDelete