Tuesday, July 2, 2013

What a failure!




I am a fail of a blogger.

I told myself I'd start up this new blog when I got home from school (May) and here it is, July, and I haven't done a single post!

Well, better late than never! This blog is to document the progress, shenanigans, and overall journey of my and my 7 year old Morgan mare, Beauty.


TREEAATZ?
Beauty is my first horse (though I've ridden since I was 6 and leased many horses) and came to me in the least expected way possible - my hairdresser/family friend has a small farm and has kept horses for many years, one of which I almost bought. She called me up one night, raving about the gorgeous, sweet, but untrained, 4 year old mare she'd just bought for $500. She suggested that this horse could be my training project and seemed to think that I, a 16 year old with no experience starting horses (or even riding green horses, for that matter), could get this horse trained and how lovely it would be (did I mention this woman was a bit crazy?). I scoffed. That's dangerous, I don't know what I'm doing, that's insane. But I agreed to do some basic natural horsemanship and lunge the horse to get her training started. But one thing led to another, long story short, I fell in love. With the help of a natural horsemanship trainer, we gradually made progress and strengthened our bond.
Playing in the snow

Purchasing my new dream horse was a disaster in itself, as the crazy woman who brought us together suddenly became jealous and refused to sell me the horse that I had spent almost every day for a year training. I was devastated, but luck turned in out favor a few months later, when Crazy Woman lost her job and needed quick money. We grabbed that bill of sale and booked it out of there!

Yay dressage pony!
It has since been the best two years of my life, owning this wonderful little horse. It has not been easy, with many setbacks that left us both frustrated and discouraged, but I would not change a thing - every setback has made us stronger. We are now schooling dressage and soon to be starting to jump! She is the best horse I can imagine and I am so proud of where we have both come from, and excited for our future!

No comments:

Post a Comment